HIGH SCHOOL Information
Fremont students are expected to complete the following requirements and expectations:
(preparing students for career/college readiness)
Understanding Academic Levels & Abbreviations:
- College-Prep (CP): basic standard level for all "A-G" subjects
- Non College-Prep: basic high school standard for all non "A-G" subjects
- Honor (H): rigorous standard preparing students for Advanced Placement Level courses
- Advanced Placement (AP): college-level standard; AP exams are given every May. Students will earn high school credits upon successful completion of the course; students may also earn college units if they pass the AP exams with scores of 3, 4, or 5.
- Dual Enrollment (DE): actual college course taught on a high school campus. Students will earn high school credits AND college units upon successful completion of the course.
ON-CAMPUS OPPORTUNITIES: (see your counselor to enroll)
|Edgenuity Online Program:||-Independent online courses to remediate D/F grades; students are still required to attend period 7.|
|Dual Enrollment Courses:||-Mt.SAC: English 1A & 1C|
|-Cal Poly Pomona: Ethnic Studies|
|ROP Courses:||-Intro to Social Media & Web Design|
|-Advanced Social Media & Web Design|
Build Your College/Career Portfolio While in High School
EDUCATIONAL PREPARATION PROGRAMS:
EDUCATIONAL PREPARATION PROGRAMS: see your counselor for the recruitment timeline!
Participating in an educational preparation program increases understanding of college cultures and promotes college readiness. Colleges recommend that students participate in at least one program while in high school.
Click on the titles below to learn more about the available programs:
- AVID: Advancement Via Individual Determination
- BP: City of Pomona - Bright Prospect (summer residential available)
- FEMINEERS: Cal Poly Pomona - Femineers / Females in Engineering Program
- PAYS: Pomona College - Pomona Academy for Youth Success (off-campus meetings; summer residential available)
- PPNL: Pomona College - Pomona Partners Next Level
- UB: Cal Poly Pomona - Upward Bound (Classic) (summer residential available)
- UBMS: Cal Poly Pomona - Upward Bound Math/Science (summer residential available)
- Uncommon Good (off-campus meetings)
LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES: see your counselor for more info!
Leadership is one of several key elements that college admission and job interviewers look for in their applicants. Leadership can be demonstrated in several ways: running for office positions, members of leadership programs, volunteers, group projects, competitions, etc.
SCHOOL LEADERSHIP ACTIVITIES:
ASB: Associated Student Body
Class of...: Class officers
Link Crew: Freshmen peer advisors
PYPC: Pomona Youth Prevention Council
Clubs: become an ACTIVE participant in school clubs/community programs
OTHER LEADERSHIP OPPORTUNITIES:
CITY OF POMONA: volunteer and student ambassador for the City's parks and recreation; cclick here and go to page 7 for contact information.
Any leadership position in team sports or organized recreational activities/events.
CAREER EXPLORATION & VOLUNTEER OPPORTUNITIES:
High school is the best time to explore different career options which may help build work experience, affirm career choices, and/or inspire new career opportunities.
NOTE: ROP and CTEC are career/technical classes; most are free to high school students. Visit the CAREER CENTER to register for these classes.
|Arts & Media Design||Course: Ceramics; 2-D Design CTEC @Fairplex|
|Acting/Film & Media||Chino Community Children's Theater / Master Classes||year-round|
|Automotive||Course: Automotive 101-104; 201 CTEC @ Fairplex - summer||application avail. now|
|Business||ULV REACH Summer Business Program (application past due)||summer only|
|Business||Paid work at any BBB-certified businesses||year-round|
|Civic||CITY OF POMONA: volunteer and become a student ambassador for the City. Click on the title and go to page 7 for contact information.||summer available|
|Cosmetology||Course: Cosmetology @ San Antonio ROP||year-round|
|Counseling||PUSD Mental Health & Family Resouce Center: email [email protected] to request volunteer information.||year-round|
HOUSE OF RUTH: assisting families of domestic violence
|Culinary||Course: Culinary & Restaurant Management CTEC @ Fairplex|
|Education||Student Aide @ nearby elementary schools||summer only|
POMONA PUBLIC LIBRARY: tutoring & activities with youth groups
YMCA: volunteers for kids' programs
|Engineering||CPP PLTW HS student intern||summer only|
|Fashion Industry||Fashion Design CTEC @ Fairplex|
|Law||Pomona Teen Court|
|Law||Pomona Police Explorer Program||year-round|
|Fire Academy||Pomona Fire Explorer Program - Post 15||year-round|
|Medicine/ Health Care||
CASA COLINA HOSPITAL & CENTER FOR HEALTHCARE: volunteers
application avail. in April
|Medicine/ Health Care||
KAISER PERMANENTE: volunteering contact info
|Medicine/ Health Care||Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center - Student Volunteer||application avail. in May|
|Medicine/ Health Care||Western Univ - Pomona Health Ladder||school year|
|Nutrition||Urban Farming CTEC @ Fairplex||school year|
|Physical Therapy||Casa Colina Hospital & Center for Healthcare||application avail. in April|
|Politics||Congresswoman Norma Torres - Youth Advisory Committee||application deadline: 5/23|
GOD'S PANTRY: weekend distribution of goods to needy families @ SEEO
|Veterinary||INLAND VALLEY HUMANE SOCIETY & SPCA||year-round|
|Welding||course: Welding CTEC @ Fairplex||application avail. now|
|Work||Paid work at any BBB-certified businesses|